Just one question…

Can anyone be proud of a politician whose motto that they bring to work every day is ‘Fuck You‘? What about when their whole family (at least the family members who are old enough to talk) has the same motto? And they all voice it publicly?

How is it that the rest of us would lose our jobs instantly (even if we work for ourselves, we’d ruin our reputations forever) with behavior like that, yet 7,241 people think that he’s the best man for the job in D6 after six years of this?

At least current property owners outside of District 6 can look on the bright side: Daly will continue to restrict housing, fight with all of the other supervisors, and generally make it difficult for people to become homeowners. This will only help property values in the other districts.

The streets in D6 (of which many of the new residents have nobody to blame but themselves now) will stay filthy. Drug dealers rejoice! And all of this will just drive new owners and renters into the rest of the city, where very little new construction is happening and very little supply is available.

Ultimately, it’s a sad day in San Francisco for the 700,000+ residents of San Francisco that could not vote in D6, yet will have to deal with the citywide impact that Daly’s behavior will have for the next four years…

15 Responses to “Just one question…”

1. dude, he won; get over it. obviously more than 50% of those who voted in your district liked him enough to keep him in office.

kinda like how i felt when just over 50% of this country’s voters chose to re-elect bush. yah, i wished that it didn’t happen, but it did. i dealt.

next time, pick a candidate that the people in your district would actually vote for. that’s why we’re not gonna run kerry in ’08, right? right?!

Anonymous at November 12th, 2006 at 7:37 am ( )
  2. Nice. You just compared Daly to Bush. Couldn’t have said it better myself. I hate them both… And they are both ingnorant idiots…

And even if I lived in a state that would re-elect Bush, that doesn’t mean I’d vote for him just to feel better about myself.

Matt Lanning at November 12th, 2006 at 8:55 am ( )
  3. And I think people that call Bush an “ignorant idiot” are ignorant idiots. He is our president. Show some respect.

Anonymous at November 13th, 2006 at 1:43 pm ( )
  4. Should I show the same respect that Daly shows for the Mayor, perhaps?

Or the same respect that Daly has for his constituents that make more than $6,000/year?

Or the same respect that Daly and his wife have for the cops and restauranteurs in San Francisco?

Got it…

Matt Lanning at November 13th, 2006 at 3:49 pm ( )
  5. I kind of find this post offensive and lacking context since I have no idea what D6, Daly or his/its policy are. Are you talking about Daly city or some politician? Also, I assume your bold’ed FU comment was in reference to a specific comment made by this person? The youtube link was removed so I have no idea what you are talking about. But whatever it is you are speaking about, you certainly are passionate about it. Please explain further as to educate. This is a bit out of character for your blog.

Andy

Anonymous at November 14th, 2006 at 3:28 am ( )
  6. OK, so I did a little research..

Still don’t know much more about Chris Daly and his policies.

Andy

Anonymous at November 14th, 2006 at 3:32 am ( )
  7. OK, so I continued to Google and I actually found a link to.. your site..

Sorry for all the multiple postings here, but I wanted to post some follow up to help others that may not be as intimate with the D6/Daly references.

Andy

Anonymous at November 14th, 2006 at 3:35 am ( )
  8. Daly IS a lot like Bush. He has as much respect for and will represent the individuals that didn’t vote for him and don’t share his values with about as much effort as Bush cares for non-fundamentalists.

I will give the office of the Presidency the respect it deserves. I do not have to give the holder of that office any more respect than he (or perhaps someday soon ‘she’) earns.

But as Matt wrote, I don’t live in D6 so while I find Daly disgusting and a blight on the Board of Supervisors I’ll just sit back and watch as my property value increase because there are few who would want to live in D6.

CameronRex at November 14th, 2006 at 5:23 am ( )
  9. I dislike Daly and hope the city will drop the district elections soon but his election tells me two things:

Some people in SF vote contrarian to “downtown interests” or whatever they imagine is authority always.

Many of the new condo dwellers in Mission Bay and SOMA are Silicon Valley commuters who couldn’t give a shit about local politics and don’t know Chris Daly from Mayor Daley

Oh well, SFians also pass almost any ballet imitative as well no matter the cost.

We get what we deserve

Anonymous at November 14th, 2006 at 10:25 pm ( )
  10. Actually, 51% of District 6 will continue to get what it deserves, 49% of District 6 (the ones who didn’t vote for Daly) and the rest of us in SF are just victims of the apathy of the new, non-voting District 6 residents.

But in the end it was Daly’s crew that went door to door in the SROs to get out the vote. He didn’t get votes from any new homeowners… Those 1000 new votes (compared to the last election) came from the single-resident-occupany hotels.

And I’m sure there was no shortage of scare tactics used in getting them to the polls… Whatever it takes to convince them that they’ll lose their hotel rooms, not be able to openly sell their drugs on the corner, or defecate on the streets…

Matt Lanning at November 14th, 2006 at 10:41 pm ( )
  11. I’ve been a condo owner in the Tenderloin for 3 years, and though I love many aspects of my location (convenience, great food), the grit and grime has a way of wearing you down. I don’t want to live in the Marina, but I also don’t appreciate dealing with human feces and urine in our parking area all the time. Crack use/selling drugs is blatantly open in the area, and nobody seems to care.

Daly says he is looking out for the residents of this district, but has he really looked around??? Most of the TL looks like a third world country in the heart of the most “beautiful city in the US”. The residents of the SRO’s overwhelmingly supported Daly, likely to keep the status quo. And that’s how we are supposed to help them? By letting them kill themselves slowly?

etslee at November 14th, 2006 at 10:49 pm ( )
  12. Etslee,

I can understand your frustration. I only drive through your neighborhood and it gets me down some days. It is very sad to see the hopelessness and disregard for others in this area. Like the guy/girl that walks across 6th street mid block while cars have to slam on their brake to avoid hitting them. Or the countless fights between drunks on the sidewalks. Or the obvious drug deals at those known corners. Or other acts that I am not comfortable repeating. It really is a disgrace and I hope it gets better for your neighborhood. Good luck…and dont give up.

Anonymous at November 15th, 2006 at 12:23 am ( )
  13. Hiya,

I live in D6, and voted against Daly. It’s too bad he won. Good thing there’s term limits.

Anonymous at November 18th, 2006 at 1:06 pm ( )
  14. Matt,

Just keep in mind that one man cannot stop progress. Sure, Daly is a figment of the past in SF, where development was vehemently opposed. However, look at the record amount of development currently occuring in D6. You cannot drive more than a couple blocks without seeing a giant crane. As more and more affluent residents flock to D6, Daly’s significance will continue to diminish.

Anonymous at November 20th, 2006 at 5:57 pm ( )
  15. Chris Daly is not against development, he just believes, as do many affluent and non-affluent San Franciscans alike, that the city would lose much of its diversity if we fail to build affordable housing along with market rate development. As to the crime and grime in district six, and the city as a whole, last time I checked, the Mayor was in charge of the police force, which obviously isn’t doing the job.

Josh

Anonymous at December 9th, 2006 at 12:26 am ( )